As children grow so does their curiosity with the world around them. Basic household items, including window coverings, can turn into potential hazards.
At The Fabric Shop we consider child safety a top priority.
Our blind supplier, Luxaflex, is committed to adhering to the European EN 13120 standard (Internal Blinds Performance Requirements incl. safety) as a minimum safety requirement. Luxaflex is continuously developing new products to help reduce the risk of accidents.
The standard operating length of most blinds with cord or chain operation, has been reduced to a maximum of 1 meter to lower the risk of injuries on young children.
For a detailed chart of safety options across Luxaflex’s products click here.
Buyers and users of blinds should be aware of the hazards that can be posed by unrestrained cords, braids, loop chains and wires, which may be hazardous to young children. The following guidelines should always be considered:
- Young children can be strangled by loops in pull cords, chains, tapes and inner cords that operate the product. They can also wrap cords around their necks.
- To avoid strangulation and entanglement, keep cords out of reach of young children.
- Move beds, cots and furniture away from window covering cords.
- Do not tie cords together. Make sure cords do not twist and create a loop.
- Install and use the safety devices according to the installation instructions on these devices to reduce possibility of such an accident.
At The Fabric Shop we can help you to decide exactly which products, features and controls are best home. And we have a full range of colours, patterns and designs perfect for nurseries, playrooms and little one’s bedrooms.
In addition, shutters are now the most child safe window covering available. The British Blind and Shutter Association (BBSA) introduced new legislation in 2014 which established the highest standards of safety within the window shading industry. We’ve worked closely with the BBSA for years, and are proud to say that all of our shutters are officially Safe by Design, making them the most child safe shutters available. As BBSA members, we are officially accredited within the Make it Safe campaign which is dedicated to child safety. For safety tips and shutter guidelines, read the Make it Safe leaflet below.